[Ur] Research topic one semester Ur/Wev or dependent typer
Daniel Agota
2017-11-10 08:13:02 UTC
Adam Chlipala
2017-11-10 12:50:24 UTC
Glad to hear you're interested in these topics!  And presumably some
other people following the mailing list might be interested in similar
suggestions, though I suggest you take any further replies private,
sending to me alone.

The only semester-sized idea I have at the moment is to learn about UPO
<http://upo.csail.mit.edu/> and implement a new module or two.  I
consider Ur/Web almost done as a research project, as it is almost fully
transitioned into a production toolset.
Dear Adam,
Could you propose me a small scale research project either related to
Ur/Web or the topics covered in the cpdt book?
I am doing a one semester masters level course focusing primarily on
research methodol‎ogy, but I personally  would like to work on a
meaningful project.
I am a Senior Developer with 9 years industrial experience currently
working with micro services.
I have read the ‎Types and Programming Languages book from Benjamin
Pierce and the Software Foundations book about two years ago.
Kind Regards, Daniel Agota
Adam Chlipala
2017-11-10 12:53:26 UTC
Actually, one other idea that just came up on GitHub is adding a
WebAssembly backend to the Ur/Web compiler.  This task requires SML
expertise but is probably small enough for someone starting with that
expertise.
Kind Regards, Daniel Agota
Daniel Agota
2017-11-10 12:56:31 UTC
Matt Rice
2017-11-10 13:21:00 UTC
I'd posted the comment here, it's not much of a description though.

https://github.com/urweb/urweb/issues/99#issuecomment-343450038

The only other thought i'd had is something i have tried to work on, but
not yet had any luck with,
which is an implementation of the nanopass-framework as ur modules, the
nanopass framework in the scheme implementation of it provides a set of
macros (define-language, define-pass), which are a bit difficult to nail
down
in a statically typed language.

In particular it seems to require row polymorphism, folds, pattern
matching, type -> type functions
all which seem to be provided by Ur, individually I can see that the pieces
seem to be there, that I can imagine the big picture of how the macros
could be implemented in ur, but I haven't managed to put it all together,
not sure if it'd be a bit much for a semester or not.
Hi Adam,
Thanks for the WebAssembly suggestion it sounds really interesting.
Please point me to a description if you already have one so I can register
it to my lecturer.
Kind regards, Daniel
Gesendet von meinem BlackBerry 10-Smartphone.
Daniel Agota
2017-11-10 14:13:27 UTC